Pegasus Mail for Windows - Overview
Pegasus Mail is an e-mail client that runs on computers
using Microsoft Windows: by client, we mean that it interacts directly with the
user, allowing mail to be sent, read, filed, printed and otherwise manipulated through a
graphical interface. Probably one of the most feature-rich mail clients available, most
users say that they find the program easy to use despite its richness. Small and fast,
Pegasus Mail can be left running permanently on the workstation and includes powerful
tools to notify the user when new mail arrives.
Pegasus Mail can run on single Windows computers, or local
area networks - it has special support for Novell NetWare LANs that allow it to operate
intuitively and with almost no maintenance. The program also supports multiple users on a
single computer. Versions are available for both 32-bit Windows (Windows 98, NT4, 2000, XP
and Vista) and 16-bit Windows (any version of Windows 3.1 or later). Pegasus Mail can act as
a complete internal mail system on its own without needing further servers or components:
it can send and receive Internet mail on its own using standard protocols (SMTP, IMAP and
POP3). By adding our Mercury Mail Transport System as a mail
server, you can provide fully-integrated centralized Internet e-mail services and mailing
list management for your Pegasus Mail users.
Pegasus Mail for Windows - Features
Pegasus Mail does all the basics of e-mail extremely well,
and far more than that... This list is by no means comprehensive - it concentrates on the
- Multilingual availability - available with fully-translated French,
German and Italian interfaces, as well as English.
- Security, security, security: Pegasus Mail protects you from
even the worst HTML-borne virus and trojans, and protects your privacy by intercepting web
bugs. Pegasus Mail is immune to *all* the exploits that affect the "other"
mailer - browse your mail with genuine confidence.
- View your folders in either a multi-pane mode (like the
"other" mailer) or in Pegasus Mail's powerful "classic" mode, where
each folder has its own window and can be manipulated separately. Switching between these
views is as simple as clicking a single button.
- Mail filtering; Pegasus Mail pioneered this in 1991, and
it's still the most powerful implementation of automated rule-based filtering you'll find
in a mail client.
- Bayesian filtering -
Pegasus Mail's built-in Spamhalter Bayesian filter learns
from the spam you receive and automatically files it
in your junk folder.
- Content control allows you to apply comprehensive rules to
trap spam and unwanted mail
- MailMerge allows you to create customized form letters to
- Support for all major Internet mail-related protocols -
SMTP, POP3, IMAP4, LDAP, PH
- SSL Support on all protocols for secure mail access
- Distribution lists allow easy management of large mailing
- Support for multiple "identities" -
easily-selectable groups of preference settings
- Support for multiple users on the same machine as well as on
- Multiple folder formats and the ability to "mount"
other users mailboxes on your desktop
- Powerful message editor with full formatting capabilities
- Full support for the Internet MIME protocol, including
digests and alternative message types
- Comprehensive HTML mail generation, in a responsible
form - no remote images, scripts or other nasties, just a good range of tables, images and
the other formatting you need for real mail.
- Powerful, multiple addressbooks with aliasing
("nicknames") and full user detail records
- Automatic listing of local users
- Complete support for Novell NetWare local area networks, in
both NDS and Bindery modes.
- Selective download allows you to preview a POP3 mailbox
before downloading it.
- Offline operation allows you to read and compose your mail
while you are not connected to the Internet.
- Many ease-of-use features, including easily-accessible lists
of recently-used addresses, directories and files, and address completion in any address
- Message reader supports wrapping options to handle even the
most deviant messages
- Rich plugin interface allows third-party extensions and mail
forms to be developed
- Template interface allows you to design complex mail forms
using a simple text editor
- Spelling checker, with UK English and US English dictionary,
and user dictionary additions.
- Highlight signficant messages using your own colour schemes
- Sort your mail by date, size, sender, subject, colour or
thread, in ascending or descending order
- Grouped views allow you poweful extended views of the mail
in your folders, including presenting message threads based on their activity.
- View attachments directly from within the program
- Supports confirmation of reading and confirmation of
- Glossaries allow you to store commonly-used texts and expand
them with a single keystroke
- Automatic replies and automatic forwarding when interfaced
with our Mercury mail server
- Powerful encryption interface - the program has its own
encryptor, and by adding readily available plugins, can support encryptors such as PGP.
- Noticeboards allow controlled posting and reading in public
mail areas, much like Internet news.
- Optional copies to self ("sent mail" in other
programs), with the ability to prompt for a folder where the copy should be placed, and
full mail filtering support to file your copies.
- Selectable and user-adjustable toolbars
- Incredibly rich preferences set allows you to control
practically every aspect of the program
- Rich options for reporting new mail while the program is
minimized on your desktop
- Automatic hyperlinking of URLs and e-mail addresses, even in
- Over 500KB of well-indexed, logically-arranged online help
- Drag and drop attachments from the desktop to Pegasus Mail
- Notepads give you an easily-accessible workspace for storing
notes and work in progress
- Circulation messages allow you to send a message or document
to successive people in order for comment and amendment.
- Full DDE interface
- Telephone message form for the office environment
- Support for multiple simultaneously accessible POP3 and IMAP
- Powerful Select feature allows you to select messages based
on arbitrarily complex conditions
- ... and much more. The program is free - download it and see
if it has the features you need.
Pegasus Mail for Windows, 32-bit version -
- Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP or Vista; we
believe Windows 7 poses no problems, although we have
not yet done extensive testing on that platform. Please
note that Windows 95 is NOT supported.
- 10MB disk space, plus whatever is required for mail storage
- 8 - 16MB RAM above minimum system requirements.
Pegasus Mail for Windows, 16-bit version -
- Any version of Microsoft Windows v3.1 or later
- 4MB disk space plus whatever is required for mail storage
- 2MB RAM above minimum system requirements
Supported Local Area Networks
- Novell NetWare 3.x and later in Bindery Mode (although
native NDS mode is strongly recommended if you are running NetWare 4.x or later)
- Novell NetWare 4.x, 5.x and 6.x in native NDS mode
- Windows NT Server
- Windows Peer-to-Peer, Samba, and similar peer-based
<< Back to the overviews
[ Page modified
2 July 2009 | Content © David Harris
| Design by Technology